If you’re trying to make a significant contribution you will have to influence people you can’t control. In other words, you will need to influence up.
Often we get in our own way when trying to influence. In Influencing Up, authors Allan Cohen and David Bradford we have to overcome these barriers:
- The assumptions you hold about how hard to push
- An unwillingness to raise a tough issue or have a difficult conversation with your boss
- A combative tone that provokes the exact reactions you dislike
- Fear of being turned down
- Inability to let go of your own concerns long enough to remember to give something valuable to get cooperation
- Any problems you might have dealing with authority
Cohn and Bradford deal with all of these issues. Beside any self-examination you will need to do, you will need courage to deal with two influencing up issues: Read More….